Confession time… I don’t drink coffee. At all. I don’t even like coffee by itself, or with sugar or cream or any of that business.
But that doesn’t mean I don’t like coffee-flavored sweets and desserts. I actually love them.
Mocha Java Chiller at Sonic… yes, please.
Mocha MooLatte at Dairy Queen… every time I go there!
So recently, I decided to dress up some brownies cupcakes with frosting…. but I didn’t just want any old frosting. I wanted something really dark and rich.
And after I got it really dark and rich, I had the idea to add coffee and give it a little more depth and rich flavor! Could you really go wrong with dark chocolate and coffee? I don’t think so.
And so this recipe was born for Dark Chocolate Mocha Buttercream Frosting. And it is fantastic!!
Unless, of course you don’t like coffee and/or chocolate. Then maybe you won’t like this, but let’s pretend you will and move on, okay? Okay!Print
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, coffee and vanilla until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the cocoa powder and powdered sugar, then slowly add to the creamed mixture.
- Add warm water as needed to the frosting to thin it for piping or frosting a cake.
- Use immediately or cover and chill until ready to use. When ready, bring it to room temperature to soften and mix with a hand mixture to fluff it up before using.
- This recipe yields about 3 cups of dark mocha buttercream frosting or enough to cover and fill a 2-layer 6″ round cake.
Do you like chocolate and coffee? Do you have a favorite coffee-flavored dessert? Leave me a comment… I’d love to hear about it!