This Easy Easter Rice Krispie Treats recipe is so simple and festive with only a few ingredients! You can also forget about those worrisome food allergies and make these allergy-friendly with a few quick substitutions! Change up the sprinkles for Easter, Spring, or to match any occasion!
Easy Easter Rice Krispies Treats
If you're looking for easy Easter desserts or snacks that kids will love, look no further! And this recipe could not be simpler. You're making classic Rice Krispie Treats and then adding sprinkles on top to create a fun and festive treat.
These Easter treats have only a few staple ingredients and can be made ahead of time. I have zero self-control when Krispy treats are in the house, so I always try to make these when we're having company or I can take the extras to church to share.
Table of contents
- Mini Marshmallows - mini marshmallows melt so much faster and easier than regular size marshmallows, but if you only have large ones, I have the substitution details below
- Crispy Rice Cereal - any brand works. I usually use this brand from Walmart but the brand-name Rice Krispies Cereal obviously works great as well!
- Butter - I always use salted butter, but you could certainly use unsalted butter in its place and simply add a pinch of salt. You can even omit the butter altogether for dairy-free and fat-free Easter treats.
- Easter Sprinkle Mix - use any sprinkles that you like or even swap them out for other holidays and occasions.
- Nonstick Cooking Spray - trust me when I say, do not skip the non-stick spray! it makes this recipe so much easier and cleanup will be a breeze!
Equipment & Tools
Baking Pan or Sheet - use a 7x10 pan for thicker treats or use a 9x13 pan for thinner treats.
Microwave - these can be made on the stovetop but as I've said before, using microwave directions is way WAY better!
Microwave Safe Mixing Bowl - the bigger the better here. When mixing up the melted marshmallows and cereal, you can make a real mess if you don't have a large mixing bowl.
How to Make Easy Easter Rice Krispie Treats
- Spray a 10 x 7 baking dish (or a 9 x 13 for thinner treats) with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the butter and marshmallows in a large mixing bowl and place them in the microwave. Heat on high for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Immediately stir well until the butter is fully mixed into the marshmallows. If needed, microwave for another 30 seconds until completely smooth when stirred.
- Quickly add the cereal and mix well until the cereal is fully covered.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Spread even and press down to compact the mixture.
- Cover in sprinkles and lightly press on the sprinkles to press them against the marshmallow so they stay stuck.
- Cover and let sit for about 3 hours or until hardened and easily cut without being gooey.
This is the video from my original Microwave Rice Krispie Treats but will give you a great idea of how we do them in the microwave:
Allergy-Friendly Rice Krispies Treat Options
- For Dairy-Free Rice Krispie Treats, use dairy-free butter or omit the butter altogether.
- For Gluten-Free Rice Krispies Treats, most brands of rice cereal are naturally gluten-free but make sure to check the label.
- These sprinkles (that I'm linking to) are free of any contaminants but all may not be, so it’s important to read the back of your ingredients to ensure they’re safe, even if it’s not listed in the ingredients.
- I use the name-brand mini marshmallows because they don’t have contaminants.
- If you want to make these into fun bite-sized treats for a party, make mini rice cereal treats by spooning the mixture into mini muffin tin instead of a 9x13 baking dish.
- Or make them in the usual dish and cut them into 1x1 inch squares. Let them set and you'll have bite-size treats that can be eaten by hand.
- For a fun twist, serve them on lollipop sticks or toothpicks 🙂
- You can coat your hands in butter and shape balls of the mixture into egg shapes and add the sprinkles on the outside for fun, edible Easter Eggs.
- Spray a turner (or spatula) with cooking spray and use that to press the treats into a pan. This way you can avoid sticky hands and the treats won't stick to the spatula either.
- If your treats are too hard, try placing a square or two in a zip-top bag with a slice of bread and leave them overnight. They will absorb moisture from the bread and soften again.
- If the whole batch gets hard, place a couple of slices of bread on top of them and seal the pan in an airtight container and leave overnight. There are no guarantees here (it depends on why they're hard), but there's a good chance you can save your dessert!
- Change up the sprinkles and you can make these any theme or season you want!
Yes! See the section above where I explain how these treats can be allergy friendly. If you skip the butter, they're also a fat-free dessert.
Rice Krispies Treats will stay fresh for 2-3 days at room temperature in an airtight container. If you're making them for snacks or a party, you can make them ahead and wrap the squares individually in plastic wrap.
If you want to keep them fresh longer, you can wrap them up tight and freeze them for up to 6 weeks!
Store your treats in an airtight container at room temperature to keep them from drying out and getting rock-hard.
If you want to make them ahead of time, these can be wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen until ready to serve.
There are endless ways to fancy-up these Easy Easter Rice Cereal Treats. Here are a few popular things you can add in:
- Vanilla Extract- a teaspoon will do - mix it into the melted butter/marshmallow mixture
- Easter M&M candies - ½ to ¾ cup of candies mixed in with the cereal and you add color and chocolate!
- Food Coloring - a drop or two of pink or green in the melted marshmallows and you will have pretty treats that you can coordinate with your sprinkles.
- You can use other size pans, if desired. For example, if you want a thinner treat, use a bigger pan.
- Don’t overheat the marshmallows or they will taste burnt or turn out chewier than normal.
- Use a buttered spatula to smooth and press the treats into the pan for easy clean up and no sticky mess!