Here are a few reasons these are a favorite treat at our house.
First, they can be ready to eat in less than 10 minutes...start to finish!
Second, they're a cheap and easy snack.
Third, they're low fat...to fat free.
Fourth...my kids LOVE them!! I made these one afternoon last week . And they were gone lickety-split!
You may have to skip the butter and/or add more cereal to get the Rice Krispies Treats to stiffen up enough for good sculpting, but I promise, it can be done! And you really want them to cool and even leave them out overnight to harden for best results when sculpting for cake.
Moving on. As I mentioned before, there's one thing about Rice Krispie Treats that I used to NEVER like.
That's the nasty mess in a pot, or the burned marshmallow/butter combination that comes with turning your head away for a second.
Microwave Rice Krispies Treats
Well, I don't remember where I found this tip, but now we make them in the microwave and I'll never do it on the stove AGAIN!
So..here's how we do it!
Microwaveable Rice Krispies Treats. Use this recipe to make Rice Cereal Treats in the microwave instead of on the stovetop.
- Pour the marshmallows into a microwave safe bowl - add 3 cut-up tablespoons of butter (be sure to mix the butter in so that marshmallows cover it up).
- Microwave for about 1 minute. Stir. Microwave for another minute. Stir again. If it's still not a very thin, melted consistency (like here in my marshmallow fondant), repeat at 30 second intervals until it's all melted and smooth.
- Stir in Rice Krispies until they're evenly coated. If they're too gooey, add alittle more cereal*. I like to use a silicone spatula to do this...it's easy clean up!
- Next, spray a 9"X13" dish with non-stick butter spray or coat the pan with butter.
- Now..here's a fun tip! Also, take a spatula with a very flat turner and coat the underside with butter or butter spray - that way the cereal won't stick to it when you're spreading it out! Pour the cereal mixture into the dish, then take the back (flat) side of the spatula and spread the cereal and flatten it. It works beautifully!
- At this point you can (if you must) let this 'set' for a few minutes and cool...OR you can eat warm, sticky, yummy Rice Krispie treats right away! All in all, this takes less than 10 minutes (more like 5), and if you wash your bowl immediately, the clean up is SUPER easy!
*I'm not sure if different brands of marshmallows melt differently or what, but sometimes the mixture seems gooier than other times. When this happens, I add an extra half a cup of cereal to stiffen up the mixture. If that's not enough, I do it again.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: rice krispies, rice krispies treats, rice krispy treats, cereal, microwave, rice cereal treats, sculpting for cake