Over in our All Things Cake Facebook Group (come join if you haven't already!!), someone asked for some basic starter recipes and that's when I had the idea to share my Top 6 Favorite Cake Recipes.
The girl asking was actually looking for scratch recipes (which we all know, I rarely do), but I thought that would be a good subject for a blog post... to round up all of my favorite recipe links in one spot!
SO... they are!
My Top 6 Favorite Cake Recipes:
1. White Almond Sour Cream Cake (aka Wedding Cake) - this is my single most popular flavor. Not only do I use it for weddings, but I also use it for birthdays and showers and I can easily sell a few dozen cupcakes a week in this flavor if I have them leftover/extra. I could go on and on... it's my #1 go-to recipe.
2. Vanilla Cake -. I use it for almost all birthday cakes and baby/bridal shower cakes plus quite a few wedding cakes. It's delicious, moist, sturdy enough for fondant decorations and stacking for tiered cakes, freezes well, etc.
3. (Dark) Chocolate Cake - when I make a chocolate cake... it's this one! My friend Shelly shared this recipe with me a few years ago and it's so, so good. This is one of the only recipes where I choose Duncan Hines over Pillsbury as my starting cake mix ... and I use the Dark Chocolate Fudge but nobody has ever complained about it being too dark!
4. Red Velvet Cake - I'm not a big fan of eating red velvet cake, but when I make it for customers, they love this recipe! It's an adaptation from a recipe my Aunt Carol gave me (to make it sturdier and not so soft) and it's always a big hit!
5. Italian Cream Cake - when I sell cupcakes by the box, these go the fastest!! The cream cheese frosting and nuts and rum and coconut ... well, it's just good cake. The recipe is for cupcakes but I use the exact same recipe for layered cakes. I've also used it for wedding & groom's cakes and it does beautifully (although a little softer than the other recipes, so handle with care!)
6. Strawberry Cake - like the red velvet cake, Strawberry cake is not my favorite (personally). But my husband and sister and both of my sisters-in-law absolutely go nuts for it and swear by this recipe! It's also really popular with customers... just this weekend I'll be doing an entire 5 tiered wedding cake in this flavor!
For my local cake business, almost all of my cake orders are for those flavors. I've used them all for tiered cakes and wedding cakes as well as carving and cupcakes. They're very versatile, reliable recipes!!
Click on the pic above or sign up for the FREE Pillsbury newsletter here and you'll get exclusive coupons (up to $250 per year in savings), access to free samples, the hottest recipes and more! I use Pillsbury in almost all of my cake mix recipes, so I love an opportunity to get free samples and coupons!
Now - here are a few other recipes I have on my menu but I don't bake them as often:
Butter Cake - this is my Daddy's favorite cake and for butter-cake-lovers... this one is terrific! I don't get requests for it often but it's fantastic!
Loaded Carrot Cake - this is a scratch recipe and it is OUT OF THIS WORLD. I make this a lot around the holidays!!
One Bowl Chocolate Cake... good, good, good (but not so good for fondant/tiered cakes because it's melt-in-your-mouth soft - or at least that's been my experience... I understand other decorators do use it for stacking).
Caramel Cake - this is also a popular cake that seems to be seasonal around where I live!
And that's it for now...my most requested and favorite cake recipes!! What is your most popular flavor?
PS. If you’re not already subscribed to my blog, would you? You can sign up here for my free email updates and then you’ll never miss a cake or dessert or deal or any other quirky thing I choose to post here! 🙂
OH... and Pin it here: