Getting ready for Easter last week, my Mama asked what I’d be bringing to our big family get-together and I immediately knew I wanted to make these Old Fashioned Green Beans with Bacon & Brown Sugar. I hadn’t tried a new green bean recipe in a long time, but this one is a keeper for sure!
Someone in our family had made something similar a couple of years ago – except they used the whole green beans and wrapped the bacon around them then poured the sauce over the top. My friend Susan said she makes them the same way. But this recipe sounded so much easier… no wrapping required!
And did you know you can get canned green beans on Amazon by the case (example here)? Sometimes they’re even cheaper than Walmart and they’re shipped to my house for FREE with Amazon Prime! That’s my kind of shopping for sure! (Try Amazon Prime for FREE here!)
Plus… how can you go wrong with bacon and brown sugar? Another thing I really love is that the recipe makes a huge pan! It was perfect for our family of 24 for our Easter dinner!! Actually, we ran out of beans, so it might not be quite big enough :-0
One more thing – every recipe I saw fried the bacon. But I really don’t like frying bacon and having the whole kitchen smell like bacon grease for a week, so instead, I baked the bacon like my friend Shelly taught me and it works so great.
Baking it in the oven means a lot less clean up and no standing over popping grease for 20 minutes! Win-Win!
Do you want a free pdf for the Green Beans Recipe? Enter your email below and you can download it for free immediately! *Please note that by entering your email, you are agreeing to join my email newsletter. You can unsubscribe at any time 🙂
These Old Fashioned Green Beans with Bacon are delicious. The green beans are baked with a sweet sauce and crispy salty bacon that make for a perfect combination and this recipe will feed a crowd!
- 5 (15 oz.) cans green beans
- 10–12 slices of bacon
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet (with edges, like this one) with foil. then spread out the bacon and bake it for 20 minutes, or until crispy.
- While the bacon is cooking, open and drain the green beans, then spread them out in a 9″x13″ baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, melted butter, soy sauce and minced garlic . Pour it over the green beans.
- After the bacon is crispy, remove it from the oven, drain and chop it. Spread it over the green beans. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F, then bake the beans for 40 minutes.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Side Dishes
Keywords: green beans, bacon, old-fashioned, Thanksgiving, side dish, Christmas, Side Dishes, Vegetables, beans
Adapted from All Recipes