In particular, I love citrus flavors and fresh fruit and some zing in my desserts... like the Strawberry Cheesecake Pie I made for Easter. It had those yummy fresh strawberries and a touch of lemon in the pie filling.
Well, yesterday I made another favorite pie of mine... Key Lime Pie. It's a simple recipe - I got it from my husband's grandmother who lived in Florida and always used fresh Key Limes.
I didn't have the luxury of fresh key limes, but I've found that Nellie & Joe's Famous Key Lime Juice is a good substitute, and I can find it in Winn-Dixie stores in Mississippi.
I also whipped up some heavy cream this morning with a little bit of sugar and plopped it on my slice. I love fresh whipped cream and have could eat it with a spoon right out of a bowl!!
Here's my basic recipe. By the way... you'll definitely want to make this in a deep-dish pie pan. It's way too much yummy for a thin pie!
Simply Refreshing… Key Lime Pie
- 1 graham cracker crust (make this one!)
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup of key lime juice
- First prepare the crust in a deep-dish pie pan and set it aside. I recommend a homemade graham cracker crust... they're the best!
- In a mixing bowl, add the egg yolks, condensed milk and lime juice. Mix on medium for 2-3 minutes until well combined. Pour into the pie crust.
- Bake at 350° for 12 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, then refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight. Optional : Top with fresh whipped cream.
Heidy L. McCallum
This looks fantastic
Hi Rose, I'm drooling over the photos! I love Key Lime Pie and look forward to trying your recipe. I think the Key limes are a must for an authentic Key Lime Pie. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Blessings, Janet
YUM, I love Key Lime Pie and this looks similar to one of my favorite recipes for it.
Pinning your recipe! Thanks for sharing your recipe at the #HomeMattersParty - have a great weekend!
Thank you for stopping by Nicole!
Key lime is always so refreshing in summer. I'll have to try it as a pie!