But I'm picky about my chocolate chip cookies. The only crispy chocolate chip cookies that I like are Chips Ahoy!
If they're homemade, I want them big and chewy and moist. Not crunchy or small. So...over the years I've tried several recipes and this is my favorite.
While you're here, be sure to check out my other chocolate chip cookie related recipes....
So, back to the cookies. I got the original recipe out of a Taste of Home magazine years ago, and I've still not found a recipe to beat it! I recommend trying this... today!
They're big cookies (more than 3 inches across) and super yummy and best when they're warm and fresh out of the oven.
I have to thank my son Joshua for baking these and taking all the step-by-step pictures!
Okay... on with the cookie recipe!!
Here are the ingredients you're going to need (shortening is missing from the pic):
- ⅔ cup softened (salted) butter
- ⅔ cup vegetable shortening (not pictured - Crisco is best!)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
Then add in the eggs, one at a time and mix well after each.
Add in the vanilla and mix well. You can see it splashed in there, huh? I forgot to add the little caption to this one!
Now my son Joshua skips this step (in practice and in the pictures), but I'm going to tell you anyway, in a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda. He just dumps in the flour, then the salt, then the baking soda, without first mixing. They still turn out great, but I like to mix them together first to be sure it's all evenly distributed!
Then add it into the wet mixture (this pic is just flour, but DO add the other items!)...
Mix again until you have a nice soft dough, then pour in the chocolate chips.
Mix gently and you'll have a perfect smooth (delicious!) cookie dough.
Next you're going to scoop the dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet (the Nordic Half Sheets are my favorite... I have 5 of them!).
We use a 3 tablespoon scoop to get the perfect size cookies!
Bake at 350° for 10-14 minutes (all of our "in oven" pics were super blurry). I like them super soft and gooey, so we usually do about 10 minutes! Then allow them to cool for a couple of minutes on the pan...
Then serve them (while still warm preferably) with ice cold milk!! YUMMY!!
Here's a printable version for you!!Print
This is our family’s favorite cookie! A big soft chewy chocolate chip cookie.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening, and sugars.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla; mix well.
- Combine flour, salt, and baking soda in a separate bowl; add to creamed mixture.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by generously rounded tablespoons (I use a medium scooper…probably more like 2-3 tablespoons) onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for at 350° 10-12 minutes (or 13-15 minutes for the big ones) or until golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack.