This Easy Chocolate Chip Cake Recipe is a doctored cake mix recipe that is easy and delicious! Paired with brown sugar buttercream - it's just like eating a cookie! Take a box of cake mix, add a secret ingredient or two, mix in some mini chocolate chips and it's heaven. This recipe works great as a layer cake or a Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake!
Originally posted August 2018, updated January 2024
As I sat down to share today, I wanted to share from my favorite cake recipes - a cake that is easy and delicious. This cake with chocolate chips seemed perfect 🙂
Chocolate Chip Cake Recipe with Yellow Cake Mix & Vanilla Pudding
I cannot, in words, actually tell you how good this cake is. It's amazingly delicious. And I'm not the only one who thinks so.
For example, recently, I had a wedding cake consultation appointment set up and the couple had chosen three flavors of cake from my menu to taste. I had made a Chocolate Chip Cake for another order so I offered for them to try it as well (it was not one they'd chosen).
Funny thing... they ordered the choc chip cake for both their wedding and groom's cake.
It's that good. These are the cakes:
It also works great for a chocolate chip birthday cake, or any other occasion!
Why Cake Mix?
Because this easy chocolate chip cake starts from a boxed cake mix, you only need a few other staple ingredients to make this cake off-the-charts delicious. Sometimes in the cake decorating world, boxed mix get a bad name. But in my world, cake mixes are everything.
I've baked both from-scratch and doctored cake mix and 99% of the time, my clients prefer the doctored cake mix recipes. Also, I am friends with some elite and well-known cake decorators and they use doctored cake mixes. In fact, a Food Network competitor is who originally shared a doctored cake mix recipe with me. So yeah... there's no shame in my game.
Why You'll Love this Easy Chocolate Chip Cake
It tastes like your favorite cookie! When I think of chocolate chip cookies, I always think of a soft buttery cookie dough. So I took my doctored butter cake recipe and added mini semi-sweet chocolate chips. The moist texture and buttery goodness will have you coming back for more! Because seriously... it tastes like a cookie!
It's easy! You only need a few simple ingredients and a couple of cake pans or a bundt pan. It can be made in just one mixing bowl too so you don't have a sink full of dishes! And it starts with a cake mix making the ingredients list short and sweet.
It's great for dessert or a tiered wedding cake. The wedding and groom's cakes above were both 100% made from this cake. It's a sturdy cake that works for stacking while still being really soft, moist and delicious.
But you can also make this into a Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake Recipe. Bake it in a round pan, a bundt cake pan, or as cupcakes... this cake recipe works for all of the above! I love recipes like this!
For this cake, all you need are a few simple ingredients.
- Butter Cake Mix or Yellow Cake Mix, I prefer Pillsbury or Duncan Hines box cake mix
- All-purpose flour
- Instant vanilla pudding mix (not prepared) - do not use cook & serve pudding and do not make the pudding; you're going to pour the dry instant pudding mix powder into the recipe
- Butter, melted
- Large Eggs
- Sour cream
- Mini semisweet chocolate chips
Boxed mixes: I much prefer the butter cake mix but a box of yellow cake mix is a perfect substitute and you still get a buttery, vanilla chocolate chip cake. You could (in a pinch) use white cake mix but the flavor will change somewhat.
Pudding mixes: for this cake I always use vanilla but you could also use instant cheesecake pudding mix and add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the recipe.
Mini Chocolate Chips: You can use full-size chocolate chips if that's all you have but they tend to sink in the batter and there will be more at the bottom of each layer of cake versus being dispersed throughout evenly.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Cake
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Spray two 7-inch or 8-inch pans with cake release or line them with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, flour and instant vanilla pudding mix. Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add in the water, melted butter, eggs, and sour cream. Mix the dry and wet ingredients on medium speed just until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in the mini chocolate chips gently with a large spoon or rubber spatula.
- Divide between two 7-inch or 8-inch prepared pans. Or pour it into a greased bundt pan.
- Bake at 325° in the preheated oven for about 38-45 minutes (longer, depending on pan size), until the cake springs back when touched or you can test it in the center with a toothpick. It will also be golden brown on top. If baking in a bundt pan or tube pan, you may need to bake longer, up to 50-60 minutes.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- For a layer cake, trim off the tops of the cake to level them. For the bundt cake, flip it out onto a cake plate and enjoy!
- If you will be making a layer cake, I recommend filling and frosting with vanilla buttercream frosting or brown sugar buttercream.
- Place the first layer on a cake plate, top with buttercream then the second layer of cake.
- Frost the outside with the same buttercream, then decorate as much or as little as you like. I have a tutorial here for a lines texture on cake.
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake or Double Chocolate Cake Recipe: Instead of butter or yellow cake mix, you can substitute a chocolate cake mix and chocolate pudding mix to make a rich, amazing Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake! You could even make a chocolate ganache glaze to go on top of the cake and have an amazing gooey chocolate chocolate chip bundt cake.
You could also bake this cake as a bundt cake or loaf cake.
This delicious cake recipe is perfect for birthday cakes, weddings, and more. It's also an easy dessert recipe for a bake sale, holiday party, potluck, church gathering, or something special like Valentine's Day.
This Chocolate Chip Cake recipe with cake mix would be amazing with Maple Brown Sugar Buttercream, but I also often just use vanilla buttercream - especially when decorating! Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream for extra decadence!
Refrigerator: Store at room temperature or in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week. It will begin to dry out after the first 2-3 days. You might also wrap it in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to preserve the moist cake for longer.
Freezer: This chocolate chip cake with cake mix freezes beautifully! You can wrap this cake in plastic wrap, then foil and store in the freezer for up to a month. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then bring to room temperature for at least one hour before serving.
I'm a bit of a chocolate chip addict, so check out my other recipes below!
Other Easy Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Filled Cupcakes
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Baked Chocolate Chip Oatmeal
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cake
- Our Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Now - if you'd like to bake an easy-peasy chocolate chip cake... check out this recipe! You can also print it below.Print
And that's it! Any questions? Leave a comment!