Celebrate Game Day with these adorable Green Jello Shots! Lime jello is paired with vodka, then topped with whipped cream, and sprinkles. Add football-themed toppers to make shots people will be talking about until the next game day! Quick and easy and oh so perfect.
The great thing about this recipe is it'll be useful way past game day. With different toppers (or no toppers at all), this fun recipe would also be perfect for Mardi Gras, a St. Patrick's Day party, a Christmas get-together, or even just a summer party.
Why You'll Love Green Jello Shots
If want to make your football party or Super Bowl bash stand out, look no further than these vibrant green football jello shots.
Bright & Festive: these key lime jello shots with their bright green color are pretty - adding vibrant color to any football spread.
Sweet & Tangy: They're not only really fun and fitting for a football party, but these vodka lime jello shots have punches of flavor: sweet and tart flavor combined with a vodka-fueled kick. Your guests are going to love them!
Make Ahead: Let's not forget the best part - you can whip up this lime jello shots recipe in advance, freeing you up on the big day to cheer for your favorite team with your loved ones. Just add the garnishes to the lime jello shots until just before serving.
Tools Needed for Football Jello Shots
Before diving into this green jello shots recipe, let's make sure you have everything you need on hand. Being prepared will make it go so much faster when you make these Lime Vodka Jello Shots.
- Shot glasses or small plastic cups
- Football Toppers
- Pourable Measuring Cup or something similar
- Reddi Wip
- OR, if using whipped topping (like Cool Whip) or fresh whipped cream, you'll also need a Frosting Bag and an Ateco #824 Frosting Tip or similar tip (both optional for garnishing)
When looking at lime jello shots recipes, I wanted to keep things simple. The game plan for this requires only a few simple ingredients.
- Lime Jell-O (or any brand of lime gelatin)
- Boiling Water
- Vodka - you can use cheap vodka or a fancier flavored vodka
- Whipped Topping, Reddi Wip (the easiest option), or fresh whipped cream
- Chocolate Jimmies
- Multi-Colored Green Jimmies
Instead of regular vodka, you could substitute vanilla vodka or citrus vodka for extra layers of flavor to step up your green jello shots.
Easy Steps to Make Key Lime Jello Shots
Making jello shots with lime jello is really easy! Here are the steps:
- Place the lime jello in a large mixing bowl and add the boiling water. Stir until the green jello powder has dissolved.
- Pour the vodka into the mix and lightly stir or whisk to incorporate.
- Fill each shot glass with the jello mixture, leaving just a bit of headroom at the top. This doesn’t have to be perfect, it just makes it easier to transport them to the fridge and leaves a bit of room for the whipped cream to sit.
- Place the shots in the refrigerator for 2 hours or until set.
- Add Reddi Wip to the top of each shot glass. OR
- Or if using fresh whipped cream or Cool Whip, use a frosting bag and Ateco #824 frosting tip (or similar) to top each shot glass with a dollop of whipped cream. I usually do this by simply starting on the outer edge and working in a circle until the whipped cream is high enough. You can top them with whipped cream however you like, though.
- Sprinkle each shot with a bit of the chocolate jimmies followed by the multicolored green jimmies. The amount of sprinkles depends on what makes your heart happy.
- I usually shorten or remove the toothpicks from the toppers altogether and nestle them into the middle top of the cool whip. They’re not edible, but they sure are cute!
- Serve the jello shot cups on a large platter or spread out on a table and enjoy!
- If you’re able to find football sugar toppers, those would be edible, but I didn’t have much luck.
- Do not garnish if you’re not serving the shots right away. It makes the garnishes odd textures.
- You do not have to use the frosting bag and frosting tip, this is just the best way to get that gorgeous twirl of cool whip on the top of each shot. Great for a beautiful presentation! An easy alternative is Reddi Wip.
- If you don't want to make lime jello shots with vodka, you can use other types of alcohol. Just be careful that you don’t choose an alcohol that will change the color of the shot itself. Lime vodka or whipped cream vodka would be a great option!
Don't love the lime flavor? You could use Sonic Green Apple Jello Mix (with apple vodka). Different flavor but you'd still have a really cute party treat.
Green jell-o shots are not just for a football party. There are so many other fun variations you could go with!
St. Patrick's Day Jello Shots - add a piece of rainbow sour or a candy clover leaf to the top for a fun treat for a St. Patrick’s Day party.
Key Lime Pie Jello Shots or Lime Margarita Jello Shots - make these into refreshing key lime pie jello shots for a summer party by adding a sprinkle of graham cracker crumbs and maybe twists of key limes or a small lime wedge with a pinch of lime zest. If you can't find the fine crumbs in a box, use your food processor to grind up graham crackers - easy peasy.
Mardi Gras Jello Shots - add some green, purple and gold sprinkles to the top of the whipped cream for festive Mardi Gras jello shot cups
Christmas Jello Shots or Grinch Jello Shots - a key lime shooter would be a huge hit for a Christmas Party when you add red sprinkles on top. Or add a Grinch topper and a red candy heart on top of the whipped cream for a Grinch Jello Shot recipe.
If you need to make them in advance, simply store them, covered, without the garnishes, for up to 4 days in the fridge. Garnish when ready to serve.
Do not freeze.
Making Non-Alcoholic Variations
Are you seeking to cater to a crowd with some underage guests or non-drinkers? Not to worry! We've got you covered.
It's just as easy to whip up a version of these playful green jello shots sans alcohol.
The solution is simple: just replace the vodka with equal cups of water. This switch ensures your jello shots maintain their refreshing chill and tangy taste without the kick of alcohol. So, everyone at your football party, regardless of their beverage preferences, can partake in the jello shot fun. Now that's a winning game plan!