Let me warn you – these cupcakes are not for the faint of heart. They are rich. And sweet. You’ll need to eat them with an ice cold glass of milk.
But boy, oh boy, if you love caramel, you are gonna love these!
So here’s what I came up with… I started with a basic yellow cupcake (recipe below).
Then I poked a hole in them… just like I did for the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes… anyway, and I filled them with caramel. For these particular cupcakes, I used Smucker’s caramel sauce, but you could also use Homemade Caramel Sauce.
Then I made the caramel frosting. I whipped it in my Kitchenaid for about 30 minutes until it was cool and very fluffy (easy to pipe)!
So… here are the recipes you’ll need to whip these up for yourself!
Do you have any questions about this recipe? Leave them in the comments and I’ll answer if I can!!Print
Delicious, moist yellow cake with caramel filling and whipped caramel frosting.
- 1 yellow cake mix (I prefer Pillsbury)
- 3 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup sour cream (8 ounces)
- 1 small box instant vanilla pudding
For the filling:
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- For the cupcakes, thoroughly mix all ingredients together. Bake at 325° for about 18 minutes.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool while you make the filling (or use pre-made Caramel sauce from a jar, such as Smuckers). When cool, use an apple corer to remove the center and prepare for filling (see how to do this [here|https://rosebakes.com/chocolate-chip-cookie-dough-cupcakes-oh-my-goodness/).
- To make the filling (if you’re not using pre-made), add the butter, brown sugar and milk to a small saucepan. Heat until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves, about 3-5 minutes over medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Allow to cool slightly and it will start to thicken. Spoon it into the cupcake holes.
- For the frosting, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and add in the brown sugar and cream. Heat until it boils, then remove it from the heat and transfer to a mixing bowl. Slowly add in the confectioners sugar while mixing. Add the vanilla. Continue mixing until the frosting is completely cooled and is whipped up light and fluffy.
- Frost the cupcakes and enjoy!!