These Easy Meringue Cookies are sweet, crispy and as light as a cloud. They are perfect for any occasion and can be dressed up with different colors of flavors or used as decor on cakes and pies.
Also known as Forgotten Cookies, Meringue Cookies are simple to make (with only 3 ingredients + water) and this fat-free dessert will melt in your mouth! They taste a little like crunchy marshmallows ❤️️
I honestly have no memory of eating these before my college years. My first memory is actually from my junior year of college – when some friends threw me a bridal shower after Richy and I got engaged.
My friend Anna that I worked with at the library made Easy Meringue Cookies (she called them Forgotten Cookies) and brought them to the shower. I instantly loved them!
She shared the recipe with me way back then (circa 1995 or 1996) and for whatever reason, I only made them a handful of times after that.
But this past week I made them for a special cake topper. And since I had so much leftover, I decided to take some pictures and share the recipe here.
I make the Meringue Cookies using meringue powder. I don’t know if egg whites are more common but the meringue powder has always worked perfectly for me, so I stick with it. Plus, I always have it in my cake room for royal icing.
If you want to make them with egg whites, the standard substitution is to use one egg white to replace two tablespoons of meringue powder.
I’ve tried several brands but I really prefer CK Meringue Powder. The flavor is good and the outcome is reliable. It also doesn’t smell funky like some cheaper brands 😉
Alrighty – I didn’t do step-by-step photos, but I do have a few tips for you.
Tips for Perfect Meringues:
- Do not stop beating until you have really stiff peaks – it will take longer than you think. You want your batter to be smooth (not grainy from sugar), glossy and thick!
- Bake the meringue cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. This will make cleanup super easy! I used parchment paper!
- Add in a tiny drop of color, or stripe your bag for pretty colors. Change out the vanilla extract for orange, peppermint or some other flavor to change them up!
- Also, to make your cookies really pretty and festive, pipe them with a large star tip. I used an Ateco #825.
- Leave the cookies in the oven overnight so they dry out really well. This will make them perfectly light and crispy!
- If your Meringue Cookies get chewy after baking, they can be baked again for 10-15 minutes to bring back the crunch!
Why are they called Forgotten Cookies?
Anna told me that they were called “Forgotten Cookies” because after you bake them, you turn the oven off, open the door and forget about them overnight.
Just leave them there to finish crisping up and they’ll be perfectly dry and crispy by morning! Isn’t that fun?
The printable recipe is below:Print
These Easy Meringue Cookies are sweet, crispy and as light as a cloud. They are perfect for any occasion and can be dressed up with different colors of flavors or used as decor on cakes and pies. Also known as Forgotten Cookies, Meringue Cookies are simple to make (with only 3 ingredients + water) and this fat-free dessert will melt in your mouth! They taste a little like crunchy marshmallows!
1/4 cup meringue powder or two egg whites
1/2 cup water
1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or other flavor of your choice)
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the meringue powder and water. Mix with the whisk attachment on high speed until soft peaks form.
- With the mixer still running on high, gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it’s all used and stiff peaks form. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Check the batter for smoothness by rubbing a small amount between your fingers to be sure all sugar is disolved and it’s no longer gritty. If it is grainy, mix longer until it’s smooth and glossy.
- Mix in vanilla (or other flavor).
- Scoop some batter into a piping bag fitted with large piping tip. Pipe desired shapes onto the cookie sheets.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 250°F. Turn the oven off, slightly open the oven door and leave the cookies overnight (or for 6-8 hours) until they’re completely dry and crispy. Peel off and enjoy!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: forgotten, cookies, forgotten cookies, meringues, meringue cookies, easy meringue cookies, easy, simple, basic, marshmallows