These Easy Red Velvet Donuts with Cream Cheese Frosting are chocolatey, delicious, and fast! They're baked instead of fried, ready in 30 minutes, and perfect for Valentine's Day, Christmas morning, or really any day you want to have them!
These Super Easy Red Velvet Donuts combine two things we love... red velvet cake and donuts! Combining the flavor of red velvet cake with hand-held treats like donuts is just a perfect combination.
They're perfect for breakfast or dessert and so festive! I used red and green sugar which made them look Christmas-y. But you could use any colored sugar or sprinkles or even drizzle that you like to have them match your party, event, or holiday!
Donuts Recipe (on video)
Baked Red Velvet Donuts Ingredients
This recipe is partly from scratch and partly uses pre-made ingredients. The batter is mostly pantry ingredients plus some prepared chocolate pudding. If you really want to cut corners, you can use canned cream cheese frosting. OR you can make this easy homemade cream cheese frosting to take it over the top!
Of course, you could go all out and make the cream cheese frosting from scratch, but sometimes, shortcuts are lifesavers.
- All-purpose Flour
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Soda
- Chocolate Pudding*
- Red Food Coloring
- Cooking Spray
- Canned Cream Cheese frosting (or 2 cups of homemade cream cheese frosting or cream cheese glaze)
- Sanding Sugar, Sprinkles, or Drizzle for decorating
*One (3.9 oz) box of Instant Pudding Mix makes 2 cups of chocolate pudding. This is the perfect amount for this recipe. You can also buy pre-made pudding cups if you like and measure out 2 cups.
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Hand Mixer
- Piping Bag
- Donut Pan
- Cooling Rack
How to Make Red Velvet Cake Donuts
Okay, let's make donuts! Here are the instructions:
Start by adding all your dry ingredients to a large bowl. Whisk together until well combined.
Add in the prepared chocolate pudding.
Next, add in your food coloring (until you achieve a deep red), and mix on high until smooth.
Place batter in a piping bag and cut off the tip.
Spray your donut pan with non-stick cooking spray and fill with batter using your piping bag.
Place the pan in the oven and bake at 350°F for 10 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack.
Place the frosting (canned or homemade cream cheese frosting) in a shallow microwaveable bowl. Microwave for one minute and stir. If not completely melted, microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between each until smooth.
You could also use this homemade cream cheese glaze.
Dip the top of each donut in the melted frosting and place it on a cooling rack.
Note: instead of cream cheese frosting, you might also use this cream cheese glaze.
Add sprinkles (or your other topping of choice) before the frosting dries.
Serve and enjoy!
Wanna make homemade cream cheese glaze?
Here are the five ingredients you'll need:
- Cream Cheese
- Salted Butter, at room temperature
- Vanilla Extract
- Whole milk
- Powdered Sugar
Click here for the full Cream Cheese Glaze recipe!
More Red Velvet Recipes...
- Red Velvet Cake Mix Recipe with Cream Cheese Buttercream
- Red Velvet Strawberry Shortcake Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Easy Red Velvet Cake (from-scratch)
Easy Baked Red Velvet Donuts
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 donuts 1x
These Easy Red Velvet Donuts with Cream Cheese Frosting are chocolatey, delicious and so, so pretty! They're baked instead of fried, ready in a flash because they're semi-homemade and perfect for Valentine's Day or Christmas morning!
- 2 ½ cups Flour
- 2 cups Sugar
- 3 ½ tablespoons Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups prepared Chocolate Pudding
- Red Food Coloring
- 2 cups White Frosting (canned or homemade)
- Start by adding all your dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- Mix until well combined.
- Add in the prepared pudding. Mix again.
- Next, add in your food coloring (until you achieve a deep red), and mix on high until smooth.
- Place batter in a piping bag and cut off the tip.
- Spray your donut pan and fill with batter using your piping bag.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool.
- Place your frosting in the microwave for one minute and stir.
- Dip the top of each donut in the icing and place on a cooling rack.
- Top with sprinkles.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: red velvet donuts, red velvet, cake donuts, cake, donuts, doughnuts, red velvet doughnuts, cream cheese frosting
Leave a Reply