The first time I made this homemade gum paste, I was amazed at how easy it was and how quickly it came together…. although you do have to make it a day ahead and let it rest for it to have the best texture!
Recipe adapted from the Cricut Cake website.
- 2 pkg unflavored gelatin (2 Tbsp)
- ½ cup cold water
- 2 Tbsp melted shortening
- ⅓ cup white corn syrup
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp Tylose powder
- Pour the water into a small boiler and sprinkle the gelatin on top. Allow it to soften for about 5 minutes.
- Slowly heat the mixture, stirring until the gelatin is dissolved and you have a clear liquid. Do not allow it to boil! Turn off heat.
- Add the melted shortening and corn syrup. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Pour all but 2 cups of the powdered sugar into a large glass or plastic bowl and make a well in the center. Pour the gelatin/syrup mixture into the well and mix until the sugar is all combined.
- Dump the mixture out onto a surface (or silicone mat) that is lightly greased with shortening. Sprinkle the tylose powder over the paste and with greased hands, knead, incorporating all of the remaining powdered sugar and tylose.
- Continue kneading the dough until it forms a soft smooth ball. Add additional sugar as needed if your dough is still too sticky. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place into a Ziploc freezer bag. Allow to rest over night before using!
- Can be stored at room temperature for weeks. When ready to use, grease your hands, then warm small balls in the microwave no more than 10 seconds at a time to soften and knead. Roll out and use!