I've had Monica's Baked Pork Chops & Rice on my list of recipes to share for quite awhile for a couple of reasons.... first, I want to share it because it's a go-to recipe for me... a family favorite that we have at least once a month and I have been making it for years. It was given to me by a dear friend Monica.
Also, it's easy with no out of the ordinary ingredients or instructions... you put it all in a dish, cover with foil and throw it in the oven. Done. I love those kind of recipes!!
Now I call this recipe "Monica's" because many years ago (probably 11-12 if I had to guess) we were at Monica's house for dinner and she made it... and I immediately wanted to know what was in it! I begged for the recipe and jotted it down as she rattled it off to me from memory.
As I recall, she didn't have exact measurements for everything, but that didn't deter me. I've actually made it so many times now that I have my own version that's almost as good as hers was (I'm pretty sure she used a lot more butter - which always makes everything better, right?). And anyway... I've called it Monica's Pork Chops ever since...
When it's done, add a vegetable or two and you have a complete meal! I almost always serve with a salad or green beans...Print
- 2 cups of rice
- 4 cups of water
- 4 tablespoon. of butter
- 2 pounds of pork chops
- 1 packet of onion soup mix
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- Preheat oven to 375°. Start by pouring 2 cups of un-cooked rice in the bottom of a 9x13 dish. Then pour 4 cups of water over that. Cut up half a stick of butter (I think Monica used a stick or more, but I'm trying to trim a few calories where I can... if you want more butter, though, GO FOR IT!!).
- Then lay on the pork chops... I had about 2 pounds. Sprinkle a packet of Onion Soup Mix over that. Then spread a can of Cream of Mushroom Soup over the top.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake at 375° for about 40-45 minutes (if your pork chops are thick you may have to cook longer). Then remove the foil and bake another 15-20 minutes until browned on top.