I’m quite overwhelmed with orders this week, so as I sat down to share today, I had to choose a cake that I could tell you about quickly. This Blue Bird Cake from last July fit the bill!
Considering it’s simplicity, I really was happy with the way it turned out. On the inside, this was a chocolate chip cake (recipe at the bottom). It’s an easy variation of my doctored butter cake recipe, but I absolutely love the flavor of this cake!
The “berries” on the cake were 7mm white sugar pearls. I used a tiny dot of buttercream to glue these on. Then for the letters I used Tappit Funky Alphabet cutters. You can see my tutorial for how to use Tappit Cutters here.
Now – if you’d like to bake an easy-peasy chocolate chip cake… check out this recipe! You can also print it below.
- 1 Butter Cake Mix (I prefer Pillsbury Golden Butter Recipe)
- Optional: Add an extra ½ cup of cake mix or all-purpose flour to make the cake a little more dense.
- 1 box (3.4 oz) instant vanilla pudding mix
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup real butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Thoroughly mix all ingredients together.
- Bake at 325° for about 38-45 minutes (longer, depending on pan size), until the cake springs back when touched or you can test it in the center with a toothpick. Cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then turn out on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- I recommend vanilla buttercream or brown sugar buttercream for this cake!
And that’s it! Any questions? Leave a comment!