These Easy Edible Gold OREOS for St. Patrick's Day are so much fun and you only need two ingredients to make them: OREO Cookies & Edible Gold Spray! They will be a huge hit with the kiddos for St. Patrick's Day treats!
Why use those fake chocolate coins from the dollar store when you can have Edible Gold Oreos?
Since crafty is not really my thing, doing a fun (yet very simple) project like this with the kids is always a win! You only need Oreo cookies and a couple of coats of gold spray and you have perfectly delicious Gold Oreo Coins!
And remember, we're talking Oreos. Can you really go wrong with the best chocolate cookies ever at the end of the rainbow? My husband says no.
Actually, you can use any flavor of Oreo Cookies, but the original ones are our family favorite and truly look the best after they dry.
So, let's get started! Here's what you'll need to make these festive gold cookies:
Edible Gold Cookies Ingredients
- OREO Cookies - original chocolate Oreos are best because the dark background makes the gold look more realistic. However, if you like a different flavor, go for it!
- Edible Gold Spray - Wilton Gold Color Mist is the most easily accessible brand, but I also like PME from Amazon or Country Kitchen Sweet Art.
- Foodsafe gloves (optional)
How to Make Edible Gold Oreos
Start with a clean surface or a large baking sheet to work on. If you're going to use gloves, get them on! You can also cover your surface or cookie sheet with wax paper or a paper towel for easy clean-up!
I like to work directly on my granite surfaced island in my cake room.
There really aren't a lot of steps here.
- First, spray the cookie's surface on one side. Then let it dry for a few seconds and flip it over to coat the other side. Also, be sure to spray the sides of the cookies.
- Next, let them dry.
- And last, if you missed any spots or want the cookies to be a little more sparkly, add a second coat. And you're done - the Edible Gold Covered Oreos are ready to go!
- One can of spray will cover around 48 cookies.
Where do I get edible gold spray?
I buy Wilton Color Mist at Walmart. You can also usually find it on the cake decorating aisle of grocery or craft stores, or of course, cake supply stores. If you prefer online shopping, it's easily found on Amazon (I actually love PME Gold best!) or any your favorite cake supply website.
Here are my top three favorite brands and websites:
- Amazon - PME Edible Lustre Spray, Gold
- Walmart - Wilton Color Mist Spray, Gold
- Country Kitchen Sweetart - PME Spray
I haven't personally tried it, but you might also have luck with Gold Edible Shimmer Spray!
Edible Gold Oreos Party Possibilities
St. Patrick's Day
Put these on a platter or tray, in a black pot (for a "pot of gold"), or in treat bags for party favors! If you're looking for a last-minute idea that will impress, these can be ready in no time flat! See all the designs I have in my shop here and instructions are here.
Not only are these perfect for St. Patrick's Day treats, they'd also be great for a Pirate Party. Put them in a cello bag with a cute dessert bag topper for perfect take-home party favors!
Gold Theme Parties
These would be so easy and pretty on a dessert table for a gold-themed party.
Looking for more St. Patrick's Day inspiration?
More St. Patrick's Day Desserts:
- St. Patrick's Day Cake Pops
- St. Patrick's Day Rainbow Cupcakes
- Easy Lime Popsicles
- Cheerios Cereal Bars for St. Patrick's Day