Have you read “How to Charge for Cakes”? It’s one of the most popular posts I’ve ever written here on Rose Bakes.
The original post was published way back in December of 2013, but after reading back through it recently, I realize that almost all of the information is still accurate and relevant.
My business has grown and my prices have changed (increased!) but overall, I feel like the information will still help anyone trying to determine how much to charge for cakes.
In fact, I know it’s still helping because that post continues to get comments weekly (it already has over 300 comments) and I still get regular emails asking about this very hot topic.
So… if this is an area that you struggle with, please click on over and read my original post! But keep the following in mind:
- I cannot and will not price cakes for you. I’m often sent pictures and descriptions and asked to set prices for fellow cake decorators. I don’t have the time to do this and it wouldn’t help you anyway. You need to learn your own market, price your own time and ingredients, and get comfortable setting your own prices. I’m not being mean, but I can’t do the work for you!
- I have increased my prices since that post. Not huge, dramatic increases, but definitely more.
- My cakes now average $4.50-$6.00 per serving and that includes buttercream and fondant cakes.
- Plain cupcakes start at $20/dozen and increase based on decorations (ranging from $24-40/dozen)
- Decorated Cookies average $3o/dozen.
- You will have to do the work and be bold in your pricing to earn what you’re worth! My post will not solve all of your pricing problems. I still find myself struggling sometimes to know what to charge for a new design and I’ll run ideas and prices by my close friends in the business to get their thoughts.
Now – with all of that in mind, go see:
How to Charge for Cakes
While you’re here, please check out my other popular posts: