This Modern Gender Reveal Cake with Gold Leaf is so easy to pull together and the end result is an elegant, beautiful cake. The colors can be changed to whatever you like and it only requires a couple of basic tools.
Modern Gender Reveal Cake with Gold Leaf Details:
- The cake was white almond sour cream. Recipe here → https://rosebakes.com/WeddingCakeRecipe. Want a from-scratch recipe? Check out this Vanilla Cake recipe.
- The buttercream was vanilla. Recipe here → https://rosebakes.com/VanillaButtercream
- I only use Americolor Gel Colors. I used Soft Pink Gel for the pink buttercream.
- I used Navy + a tiny bit of Super Black Gel for the navy buttercream.
- I used 24K Edible Gold Leaf to add the gold highlights.
More resources for making this cake:
- In my book, Cake Decorating for Beginners, I have an entire section on mixing colors. I also have a tutorial with baking tips, how to fill and stack cake layers, etc. Check it out here → Cake Decorating for Beginners.
- I have a tutorial on how to get the frosting on the outside of the cake smooth → How to Smooth Frost Cakes.
- I have a video here of palette painting flowers onto a cake. For the cake above, you don't need to do full-blown painting, but small swipes of frosting. The technique is very similar. You'll only need a small offset spatula to do this design.
- The cake is displayed on this gorgeous Wavy Gold Border Cake Stand from Macy's.
How to use Gold Leaf on a cake?
Avoid the loose leaf gold leaf sheets and get the soft transfer sheets instead. Also, make sure you get 24K gold that is labeled as edible.
When doing small, random spots of gold, I use a very soft brush to gently tear pieces off of the sheet and apply them to the cake. If you want to cover a large area, place the whole sheet against the cake and it will adhere, then use a large brush to smooth it down.
Yes, if you purchase real gold, it is edible!